Sunday, August 6, 2006

Prep, by Curtis Sittenfeld

Average Rating: 6.2

Erika: 7.0 - Easy to read, liked to hear the stories of how she grew. Related to the things she went through.

Tina: 6.5 - Couldn't stop reading this book, but it annoyed the crap out of me! Insecruity consumed her - got very frustrated - parts made me laugh though. Ending was abrubt - ending wasn't satisfying.

Sara: 5.0 - Lee drove me nuts! I was angry how it ended. Her personality was frustrating. Didn't feel like Lee did not learn or grow - she wasn't open minded or caring.

Rebecca: 5.5 - I was addicted to the book, but Lee bugged me. She was completely self-loathing. She expected people to think the best of her even though she thought the worst of herself. She didn't try or care about things.

Dana: 6.5 - I thought Lee was very pathetic. She over analyzed everything.

Rachel: 7.0 - Being from a small private school, but not wealthy, I could relate a little bit. But Lee was way too passive aggressive. She was very hypocritical.

Anne: 8.0 - She was very immature. Her inner monologue made me laugh. She also always did the opposite of what she should have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COMMENTS FROM BECKY
(IN IRAQ)

Ladies, I am going to preface this blog by saying I am not done yet. The date for blookclub snuck up on me and, surprise; it's here and I am not done. I am, however, over half way finished.
Realizing that one must finish the whole book before judging, I give the book a 4 thus far. The book seems juvenile and mostly I am frustrated with the Lee's character. I have to keep reminding myself that she isn't even in high school yet because I think of Ault as a Carleton. I feel like she would be in college because I picture her living in a Carleton dorm, but she's still so young.
Many of the reservations she has I did feel growing up too. However, her bashfulness is over the top, and I find myself embarrassed for her with almost every social encounter. I am nervous for her next conversation because I am sure she will over analyze and come across much lamer than I feel she could be. I keep waiting for her to have an epiphany, but it hasn't happened yet.
The book is probably more realistic than I am giving it credit for. So many adolescent girls, especially these days, are so self conscious that it defines who they are....the corcern for what others think becomes their world. Instead of being who they want to be and enjoying their lives, they worry their days away. It's odd because if you aren't careful, you will take that into adulthood and it will start to define who you become. Easier said than done, I know.
So, enjoy the bookclub, have a glass of wine for me. Take a picture if you can. Not that many more left until I come home!