Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfeld

Average Rating: 8.0

Sara: 8.0 - (from Chicago) Pulled her in and felt as though she was being given a child's nighttime story. Author and her mother were so lost without the twin. Liked discrepancies of the children.

Erika: 8.0 - Confused with authors jumping around. But liked relationships between Vida Winter and Margaret.

Jenny: 7.5 - Didn't think it was well-written, but good story. Knew ending. Was going to be let down - inevitable, not as spectacular.

Tina: 9.0 - Rates up with "My Sister's Keeper". End was great for her. Disturbed by Isabelle and Charlie's relationship. Enjoyed the mystery behind which twin survived the fire. Thinks it was Emmeline?

Rebecca: 8.5 - Liked Sara's description of book, child's nighttime story. Didn't like the very end. Tells what happened with bibliography and her life. Liked story. Good movie?

Anne: 7.0 - Drawn in. Middle and end had to force herself to read. Seemed like a fairy tale, surreal story. Weirded out by how Miss Winter picked up that Margaret was a twin. Margaret's mother situation had loose ends. Quirky behaviors of characters.

Dana: 8.0 - Loved the base of the story. Sad with demolition of the house. The life of twins was interesting. Adeline was the twin that Vida Winter saves (in my opinion). Miss Winters strategy of using "I" vs. "We".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COMMENTS FROM BECKY
(IN IRAQ)

This was an enjoyable read, a fun story.
This was one of the few books I have read recently where I couldn't put the book down. Its the story of a storyteller who is finally going to tell her amazing life story to a biographer. However, being a storyteller, it's hard to finally tell the truth, and what a truth it is.

The end threw me for a little loop, which I enjoyed.
I give this book an 8. I am not sure if its because I have been waiting to read something like this or not, but feel this is a pretty darn good read.

I only wrote one note in the back. It's referencing page 45. When Miss Winter talks about her views of politeness and how it's a 'poor man's virtue'. She would rather someone be bold and honest than polite, just to give you context. "One needs no particular talent to be polite. On the contrary, being nice is what's left when you've failed at everything else. People with ambition don't give a damn what other people think about them".

For some reason this made me think of meeting important people in my life. I would rather them remember me for being honest, funny, interesting, than polite. Truthfully, if all I were was polite, and nothing else, they're probably not going to remember me at all.

Not to say that polite isn't good, but it's definitely not everything.