Saturday, December 3, 2005

One Thousand White Woman, by Jim Fergus

Average Rating: 7.8
Menu: Thai Chicken Curry and Lemon Chicken. Yum!

Last night Anne hosted a lovely book club at her house. She had the house decorated for Christmas and served. In addition to rating the book, Anne asked each of us to state what the English-version of our Cheyenne name would be. Here are all of our comments on "1,000 White Women":

Rebecca: 6.0 - "Tidy One" Wasn't excited to start reading the book, liked the history, but thought the storyline was too fictional.

Sara: 7.0 - "Woman who Runs Alone" The book exceeded her expectations, would have liked more historical references.

Dana: 9.0 -"Pale Dog-Lover" Became very engrossed in the book, liked how May Dodd was a leader; disappointed that Captain Bourke turned out to be so cruel by killing Horse Boy.

Erin: 8.5 - "Woman with White Hair" Liked the history of the book and the bullet hole on the front and back cover.

Erika: 8.0 - "Woman who Trips Over her Own Feet" Enjoyed how the relationship with May Dodd and Little Foot developed and deepened; she also liked the format of the book--she paid attention to the dates and how much time passed between each entry.

Tina: 8.0 - "Little Sleepy One" Liked the format, thought the ending was unrealistic. Would have liked a more realistic ending.

Becky: 6.5 - "Warrior Woman" We concluded that the character Euphemia reminded us of Becky.

Anne: 8.5 - "Shy One" Loved the story-enjoyed how the real names of the women matched their personality. Found the book to be an easy read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COMMENTS FROM BECKY
(IN IRAQ)

It's amazing how much you get out of a book depending on when you read it. If I had read this book 8 years ago, I may not have sympathized or related to May Dodd in nearly the same way. Or perhaps I would have depending on what I was going through at that time. Perhaps I should reread more books (really, I don't think I have reread any books).

Anyway, I related to their quest, their separation, their challenges in a new environment - one where nobody from home is at, where you long to be home, but you know you need to be right where you are. I relate to being scared, holding on to those friendships that just started yesterday, but day-by-day seem to be the most important relationships b/c they get you through this day and into the next, which means you are one day closer to going back to 'home'. However, as each day goes by, you realize that this is home. This is what you are, and this is your life too.

I feel I also realated to her character specifically. She is the one that is trying to make the best of this situation. She isn't afraid of stating her opinions and standing her ground. She is also the one that watches out for the well being of all her group. She talks a little about this on the first part of pg.89 They are thoughts I think often.

A few more notes: I liked her take on religion - I share the same. She does mention somewhere about feeling like soldiers off to duty - now she is relating to me. Also, did anyone catch the bit about the holy man being 1/2 woman and 1/2 man - that it carries spiritual meaning to be both male and female. Hello? Middlesex. Oh, and I didn't realize until pg 291 that those where Helen's bird drawings in the book, duh.

Lastly, a bit about history. I think it's amazing how we take the history that we are taught in school as fact. History is only true and fact by those who tell it. There are always at least 2 sides to every story. Can you imagine learning our country's historyt taught by any other country? by the Native Americans? Yikes. But which is true? Neither? Both? It just depends on who is telling it. I think it best to know as much as possible about all side. I say this in general b/c history is not my favorite subject. But life is making history - ensure you tell your story well b/c it will get misinterpretted, rewritten, stepped on and stollen.

I liked this book (thought the last chapter, few pages about the kids, was unnecessary). I also feel it was fluffy (Tina's words). Some things seemed too glamorous to be happening in that life (many things in a short amount of time). And some was convenient for for the story. I give this book a 6.5. It was a good story, I learned things, but it isn't a "My Sister's Keeper".

Can someone tell me where I am falling with my ratings? I am sure I rate high. I think I will re-evaluate my scale.