Thursday, January 19, 2006

Broken for You, by Stephanie Kallos

Average Rating: 7.6

Dija: 6.0 - The book was hard to read, but got better as she read.

Sara: 9.0 - Was one of her favorites, characters grew together and independently; was a feel-good read, but had mediocre writing.

Erin: 8.5 - Loved it, loved the characters and the 'mystery" element of the story. Saw lots of irony in the book, would recommend to others.

Tina: 8.0 - Liked the book, thought the story of the book was the character development, looked forward to reading it and finding out what happened.

Rebecca: 9.0 - Noted that this was a very high rating for Rebe. Stopped reading Harry Potter 6 for this book. Thought the amount of valuables that Margaret had was unfathomable.

Anne: 9.0 - Like how the story brough meaning to the characters' lives and how they each helped each other find meaning. Was confused about Wanda's obsessions with Peter and how the record store incident was upsetting because it was built up so much by Wanda. Why did she put him on such a pedestal?

Dana: 6.0 - Liked the reinvention of the valuables, but thought it was a waste and the "enter and break something" ritual by the end of the book was weird. Wondered about the logistics of breaking all the things and the clean up? Thought the book was depressing.

Erika: 7.0 - Loved reading about the developing relationships between Margaret and all of her new house mates, especially Wanda. Thought there were too many small world coincidences. Enjoyed reading about Wanda's art with the pieces, as if she's putting her life back together with all the broken antique pieces.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COMMENTS FROM BECKY
(IN IRAQ)

Well Ladies,

I hope bookclub was fun last night. Not quite the excitement of last time with the new engagement and pregnancy, but always a good time. I hear Dana and baby are doing well. And I still miss you all!

I have to report that I still have 50 pages left in the book. So, I will have to update this when I am done. I know the end has pretty large events, so I can't make a full assessment at this time.

But, I do not have the next book. More to come..

....Here's the review posted on March 16th, 2006:
Hi Ladies,
I want to preface this by saying it has been a while since I finished this book. Being that it was during a very busy time - I wasn't able to get online and post this. However, I have noticed your comments aren't here either - so, we're even.
I would give this book a rating of 6.5
I liked the book overall; it was overall a lighthearted read - a little long though. I kept waiting for the stories to cross, knowing they would, and got sort of sick of waiting. Things were very convenient - almost too convenient.
However, there were a few major topics that I really liked in the book. The first is that we are all living on a stage. Life isn't what we think it is but what others view it as. I think it was Plato that had the same idea - that things aren't what they are, but what they are viewed to be (I think it was Plato). We are actors playing parts of people we want to be, or wish to be. Do we act too much, pretending we are someone else - or do we live as we are?
The second topic has to do with being broken. Everyone is broken to some degree, it's what you do with your flaws that make a difference. Do you learn from them? Do you hold on to the reason you are broken and have it affect the rest of your life - and your personality? I think there are a lot of people that do that - yearn for the pre-broken self, hold grudges against those who 'broke' us. There is so much wasted time spent on wishing we were someone else, wanting to be someone else that we forget that we need to live and that time is passing very quickly.
Lastly, I like the quote that "we are worth more broken" pg 348. If we learn from our mistakes, learn from others, become stronger and wiser - of course we are worth more broken. As long as you are broken and learn and don't let being broken distroy you - then things are good.
Off the soapbox.....done.