Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls

Average Rating: 8.4

Erika: 8.0 - Like the author, detail in description. Was hard to read. Couldn't understand grandparents and parents - very dysfunctional. Couldn't stop reading. Wanted to know what happened to youngest sister. Author was interviewed and said sister was still estranged, having problems.

Rachel: 8.0 - Knew parents were dysfunctional but they redeemed themselves. When dad was drunk they were horrible, but great when sober. Mom was lazy. Found parents lives interesting - that they chose to live as they did. Amazed at authors success based on childhood.

Dana: 10.0 - Loved it. Started on Sat while in Arizona - liked being in the desert. Didn't like Virginia chapters as much. Felt author had regrets about Maureen, how she grew up. Jeannette didn't live up to her promise to always protect Maureen. Was sad when dad died. Didn't like mom - she was selfish. Would recommend.

Anne: 8.0 (pg. 152) - 1st book she didn't finish. Having trouble sympathizing with parents. They are always overly optimistic - delusional. Amazed that story is true - UHaul, molestation - sad for authors upbringing. Feels for the kids.

Sara: 8.5 - Liked seeing things through authors eyes - turning some things into games. Virginia time was interesting as Jeanette started to see things as reality. Shocked by moms land ownership. Mom was terrible - very selfish. Felt bad for dad as alcoholic.

Rebecca: 8.0 - Agree with others. Like the beginning more - had hope for family. Interesting how much more narration time spent on younger years vs older (1st 1/3 of book based on years 3-6ish). Though about it a lot, but not sure if I really liked the book - was disappointed at the beginning of each chapter. Thought father was a better person than mom. Was most disappointed by uncle molesting kids and parents not standing up for them.

Tina: 9.0 - Loved the book. Thought about it for months after reading it. Drew parallel between mom's treatment of kids and Jeannette's ultimate treatment of Maureen - she promises to take care of her, but ultimately didn't. Loved that the author wrote her story objectively, without self pity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COMMENTS FROM BECKY
(IN IRAQ)

I know this post is premature for bookclub, but I have been reading a lot in the last month or so. You see, I have been trying to keep my mind busy with the holidays and all.
This book was a good one for me to read at this point. You see, it reminded me, as I try and remind myself as often as possible, that life is always harder for others. There is always someone going through something harder than you are, so be greatful for what you have going for you now. Sometimes I wonder if I am just fooling myself, but then there are things like this book to focus me again.
I give this book a 7.5. I thought it was a good read. I really liked that it was non-fiction, a memoir. Funny too, I just looked in the front of the book and realized her parents wedding photo was there.
Her parents seem like bigger than life type of people. Although how they raised their children was abuse, there is no doubt that they loved their children. However, love isn't always enough....or is it?
Is it how you raise your children or what you teach them that is more important? Perhaps it all depends.....
This book seemed like a less intense 'Child Called It'. It's a story of endurance and strength. A story of overcoming and learning from hardship. It's also a story of messed up priorities and doing what you do to not become your parents. In the end, its all about how you got there that matters.
I think this book did a good job of helping you understand the frustrations and hardships these children went though; however, not going overboard where you end up hating these parents. I usually have a back page filled with notes on the books we read. I write down things that inspire me, challenge my thoughts, and help me grow. By the end of this one I had nothing. It was a really good story though and breezed right through it.