Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Good Soldier, by Ford Maddox Ford

Average Rating: 6.4

Sara: 8.5 - Character development spectacular. Beginning slow and confusing. Told like fireside story. By the end understood why it was so confusing at the beginning. Hard time deciding who was bad. Can look at it in different ways and come out with different answers. Wanted to know more.

Tina: 6.0 (pg. 163) - Confusing. Realized I like straight forward writing, don't need "golden sentences". Likes more journalistic writing. More like him thinking than straight forward. Thought narrator was stupid. Makes you realize how times have changed.

Rachel: N/A (through part 1) - Language hard, want to have read.

Dana: N/A (don't have book)

Anne: N/A (just finished The Glass Castle)

Rebecca: 7.0 (pg. 137) - Beginning confusing. Don't like randomness, but appreciate it (due to how I would tell the story). As well, his lack of realization reminds me of how I would look at the situation. If I would have known the story in advance, I think I would have enjoyed reading it more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COMMENTS FROM BECKY
(IN IRAQ)

I know this post is premature for bookclub, but I have been reading a lot in the last month or so. You see, I have been trying to keep my mind busy with the holidays and all.
This book was a good one for me to read at this point. You see, it reminded me, as I try and remind myself as often as possible, that life is always harder for others. There is always someone going through something harder than you are, so be greatful for what you have going for you now. Sometimes I wonder if I am just fooling myself, but then there are things like this book to focus me again.
I give this book a 7.5. I thought it was a good read. I really liked that it was non-fiction, a memoir. Funny too, I just looked in the front of the book and realized her parents wedding photo was there.
Her parents seem like bigger than life type of people. Although how they raised their children was abuse, there is no doubt that they loved their children. However, love isn't always enough....or is it?
Is it how you raise your children or what you teach them that is more important? Perhaps it all depends.....
This book seemed like a less intense 'Child Called It'. It's a story of endurance and strength. A story of overcoming and learning from hardship. It's also a story of messed up priorities and doing what you do to not become your parents. In the end, its all about how you got there that matters.
I think this book did a good job of helping you understand the frustrations and hardships these children went though; however, not going overboard where you end up hating these parents. I usually have a back page filled with notes on the books we read. I write down things that inspire me, challenge my thoughts, and help me grow. By the end of this one I had nothing. It was a really good story though and breezed right through it.